Kamarudeen Ogundele, Abuja
The Code of Conduct Tribunal has fixed February 4 for the resumption of hearing in the charges filed against the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.
The Heads, (Press & Public Relations) Ibraheem Al-Hassan, disclosed this in a press release on Thursday.
Onnoghen is facing six counts of false assets declaration filed against him by the Code of Conduct Bureau.
The tribunal had earlier adjourned sitting in the matter following an interim order of the Court of Appeal which ordered it to stay proceedings.
But the Court of Appeal on Wednesday reversed the interim order by refusing to grant the interlocutory injunction sought by Onnoghen.
The court said section 306 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act has barred the court from stopping a criminal matter.
The release said the tribunal fixed the new date after receiving a letter from the CCB.
“The decision was reached today sequel to a correspondent from Code of Conduct Bureau, applying for the resumption of trial of the case captioned; Application for resumption of trial of the case of FRN V. Hon. Justice Onnoghen Nkanu Walter Samuel case No: CCT/ABJ/01/19, addressed to Hon. Chairman Code of Conduct Tribunal, dated 30th January, 2019, jointly signed by Musa Ibrahim Usman (Esq) and Fatima Danjuma Ali (Esq).
“The request reads in part; ‘The above subject refers. This case came up for hearing of preliminary objection to the jurisdiction of the Tribunal on the 28th of January, 2019 but the Tribunal could not proceed due to the pendency of the case at the Court of Appeal.
“However, in the wake of this afternoon, 30th January, 2019 the Court of Appeal has thrown out the appeal.
“Consequently on the above, we urge the Honourable Tribunal to give us a date for resumption of the trial subject to the convenience of the Tribunal, Most obliged my Lord.”